Tuesday, February 28, 2012
Monday, February 20, 2012
Historic monastery in Cyprus near collapse | ajc.com
Thursday, February 16, 2012
AHEPA Mobilizes to Help
Humanitarian Relief Efforts for People of Greece
Charlotte Chapter Answers the Call with $5,000 Donation
Will Partner with International Orthodox Christian Charities (IOCC)
WASHINGTON - The American Hellenic Educational Progressive Association (AHEPA), a leading membership-based association for the nation's three million American citizens of Greek heritage and Philhellenes, will mobilize its chapters, and work in cooperation with the International Orthodox Christian Charities (IOCC), to help with humanitarian relief efforts for the people of Greece, announced Supreme President Dr. John Grossomanides.
"The humanitarian crisis in Greece is dire,” Dr. Grossomanides said. “This is an opportunity to answer a clarion call to help the people of Greece. We appeal to Greek American organizations and the community at large to answer the call."
How AHEPA Will Help
- Identifying private sector/corporate partners to donate medical supplies.
- Making available its 501(c)(3) AHEPA Foundation, Inc. to receive contributions that will directly pay for the shipment and acquisition of medical supplies and food.
- Mobilizing AHEPA Greece chapters to liaison with the Greek Ministry of Education to execute a food voucher program for schools.
- Partner with International Orthodox Christian Charities (IOCC) to assist with acquisition of medical supplies and food.
- Mobilizing AHEPA family chapters.
- Outreaching to all Greek American organizations asking them to contribute financially to AHEPA’s program.
- Funds will go directly to pay for the shipment of medical supplies and food.
"AHEPA's inquiry into how the organization could assist for a national level began October 2011," said Dr. Grossomanides, who is also leveraging his professional relationships in the pharmaceutical industry to seek assistance. "AHEPA examined the logistical challenges to providing aid efficiently and cost-effectively to those in need with meetings with the IOCC and the Embassy of Greece in Washington and came to the conclusion that this was the best course of action. In the interim, our fourteen chapters in Greece have been providing critical services to their respective communities whether it has been purchasing medical supplies or equipment for hospitals or feeding the needy."
He added, "We look forward to working in partnership with the IOCC, an extremely effective relief organization, to assist with the acquisition of medical supplies and food."
Charlotte Chapter Donates $5,000 to AHEPA Foundation, Inc.
AHEPA Marathon Chapter 2, Charlotte, N.C., has answered the call to help by making a $5,000 donation to AHEPA Foundation, Inc. that will directly pay for the shipment and acquisition of medical supplies and food. The chapter made the presentation to Supreme President Dr. Grossomanides at an event held in Charlotte, Saturday, February 11, 2011.
- To donate to AHEPA Foundation, Inc. online, please visit www.ahepa.org and click "Contribute."
- Read Executive Director Basil Mossaidis' op-ed piece "An Opportunity to Help: AHEPA Mobilizes to Help Relief Effort for Greece."
- Read AHEPA Mobilizes: An Executive Summary
Tuesday, February 7, 2012
Wednesday, February 1, 2012
We are now one of the biggest AHEPA chapters in Pennsylvania!
For membership information, contact Chapter Secretary Dean Kraras at firstname.lastname@example.org